Dental technology has forever changed dentistry.
Procedures that used to take weeks or months can now be done in days.
One of the best advancements in dental technology is CEREC®.
With CEREC®, you can have a brand new crown restoration in as little as two hours!
So, how are CEREC® crowns made?
Find out how we make same-day crowns in Gurnee, IL below.
Then afterward, our dentist Dr. Bradley Rule will answer frequently asked questions about CEREC® like, “Are CEREC® crowns better than traditional crowns?”
How are CEREC® crowns made?
First, it’s essential to understand what CEREC® is.
CEREC stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics.
It is a method that utilizes CAD/CAM technology to custom-design tooth restorations from an initial digital scan of your teeth to the physical milling of your crown.
CEREC® has significantly reduced the time it takes to create a crown from an estimated two weeks down to two hours.
Watch this quick 2-minute video to learn how our restorative dentist in Gurnee, IL makes CEREC® crowns:
Additionally, here is our step-by-step procedure for CEREC® crowns:
- Preparation: Dr. Rule and his dental team will prepare your tooth to create a solid foundation for your new crown restoration.
- Scan: Using an intraoral scanner, Dr. Rule will take digital images of your teeth and bite to create a 3D model. No more goopy impressions!
- Adjustments: The software will create a digital crown based on your surrounding dentition. If needed, Dr. Rule can make adjustments to ensure your new tooth fits perfectly.
- Milling machine: The data is sent to our in-house milling machine. From a block of ceramic, the machine will fabricate your new crown in just 15 minutes!
- Final touches: Dr. Rule will check that your crown lies perfectly with a quick x-ray, and then we will match your crown’s shade to your surrounding teeth.
- Fire: All adjustments and color are solidified once your crown is fired in our ceramic oven for 12 minutes.
- Smile: Finally, we will place your crown and check the fit. Within two hours, you will have a brand new crown that is built to last.
Do you need a tooth restoration? Contact us today to schedule an appointment!
FAQS about CEREC® crowns
You probably have some questions about CEREC® crowns, and rightfully so.
CEREC® crowns are breaking the decades-old norm of traditional crowns.
Are CEREC® crowns more expensive?
CEREC® crowns cost the same as traditional crowns.
Even though CEREC® technology is expensive, you save costs by eliminating the need for an external dental lab and by having your crown made and placed in one appointment.
The cost of a CEREC® crown will vary based on the tooth, dentist, location, and so on.
The best way to find out how much a CEREC® crown will cost you is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Rule.
Are CEREC® crowns covered by insurance?
If your dental insurance covers traditional crowns, then yes, your insurance will likely cover CEREC® crowns.
How much will it cover?
That will depend on your dental insurance policy. We recommend contacting them to find out before starting treatment.
Are CEREC® crowns better than traditional crowns?
We may be biased, but we believe:
Yes, CEREC® crowns are better than traditional crowns.
Now, that’s not to say traditional crowns are bad. In fact, quite the opposite.
But it’s hard to compete with the benefits of CEREC® crowns:
- No temporaries! You don’t have to go days (or weeks) being toothless or worry about your temporary falling off.
- One day! Getting a crown used to take weeks, but now it can be done in one appointment.
- No metal! CEREC® crowns consist of only ceramic material. Unlike metal-filled crowns, CEREC® crowns won’t change with temperature or show a gray shadow at your gum line.
- Digital impressions! CEREC® crowns require the use of a digital scan, meaning no goopy impressions!
- Longevity! CEREC® crowns can last just as long as traditional crowns. Keep reading for more!
How long do CEREC® crowns last?
As with your natural teeth, the best way to take care of your smile is by following a good oral hygiene routine: brush twice a day, floss daily, and maintain your regular dental checkups.
With proper care, your CEREC® crown can last between five and 15 years!
Do you want same-day dentistry?
At Bradley Rule DDS, we only want the best for you. After all, we would want that for our family, and we like to think of our patients as our dental family.
That is why our superior level of dentistry includes same-day treatments like CEREC® crowns.
Come experience top-notch dentistry with us, and you’ll never look back!
You can reach us by: